Thursday, December 07, 2017

practical is beautiful

Never in my life had I seen this, no matter that I've eaten and cooked and seen cooked potatoes all my life.  Potatoes that you wash, then peel, then cook.  Although I stopped peeling all but mashed potatoes pretty quickly when I became chief cook and bottle washer.  I even tried to not peel those but went back to it.

But then Spice World came into our lives and along with it Indian food that we wanted to make at home, namely samosas and kachoris.  Enter youtube, enter a 111 year old woman teaching how to make samosas and kachoris on youtube.

And this is how she peeled potatoes which is now how we peel potatoes that need peeling.

1) wash and boil whole.  The advantage here is that you lose almost no starch or flavor in the boiling.

2) take them out of water and let cool until you can handle them and basically rub the skins off.  The old woman just did this with mainly her thumbs.  We tend to use the back of a knife.



3) use.  Your mashed potatoes might be a little lumpier, or might need more milk/cream/butter than you've used on the past, but they will taste better, even if you are using boughten potatoes.

I don't know, maybe I'd just missed this somewhere along the way, but this was new to me and ever so useful.

(Potato peelings are exceptional rabbit food)

No comments: