Thursday, November 19, 2015

Live without calling to terror

I need to sweep the last of the dog hair up today.  Of course, it won't be the last of the dog hair, not really;  it will still be hidden but no more will accumulate.

And every time I read of the Belgium slum where the Paris attackers mostly grew up the line from The Good Earth runs through:  When the rich are too rich there are ways, and when the poor are too poor there are ways.  It is still terrible, it is no excuse, but that poverty simply goes unnoticed, or treated with an Abercrombie sweatshirt and  crafts.  The taking of the jewels as it were does not go unnoticed.

But yes, when people would say that people are only poor because they do not work hard enough, they are not smart enough, fuck them.  I choose to not do those immoral things.  Because you are a doctor does not mean that you deserve that expensive treatment while someone like me would not because the "government" would have to pay for it, as though the government is not paying for yours through protecting your "profession" and paying your income.  No one "deserves" to be able to control their heat with a flick of a finger.  No one "deserves" to sleep under a park bench because the thing has an anti-sleeping thing in the middle of it.  Life in the dump may not really be so bad as you imagine, but neither Jesus nor Muhammad will make it any better.

True enough, I am not likely to give you any of my potatoes.  But that field will call no terror to it either.  Someone who lives the life tho?  Someone in need?  Of course.

So maybe the whole point of this blog all these years is that so many people come against a crisis as Paris and say "Don't look at me -- not my fault," and I am saying, have been saying, "Look at us -- this is one way to live differently, live examined, live whole and yes with love."

And the most simple way to explain that is to live smaller.  Much much smaller.  Much.  Honestly, not much else will change the human heart.

1 comment:

Echo said...

I just want to say, this is a beautiful post and reflects my feelings as well. Thank you.