Thursday, September 01, 2005

Out

A trip to the dentist today. Bought gas at the bargain price of $2.79. All Chevron stations here held the price. I do not know if that was a local decision or a corporate decision but I applaud it and will remember it. Like I've never bought Exxon gas since the Valdez.

Of course, even with my behemouth, I buy waaaayyy less gas than, well, anyone else I know.

Of course, gas prices, even at $6 like they were in Atlanta, aren't a natural disaster. So, taking my part in the Katrina Relief Blogburst, I go with the Salvation Army with reason. I lived through the Great Flood of '77 in the Appalachian mountains. My home wasn't flooded but lots of them were. Our business was flooded, as were all businesses in our town. Everything was shut down for at least a week and it wasn't just our town but all the surrounding towns. All the surrounding counties. A lot of floods are isolated -- not the one in '77.

If FEMA existed then, I didn't know about it. And I never saw the Red Cross. That none of us ever saw the Red Cross became a topic of discussion when the Red Cross started a fund raising campaign, "Appalachia: Mountain of Strength, Building Back." That didn't leave a good taste in our mouths toward the Red Cross. Ah, but the Salvation Army! They were THERE the next day. They set up in our town hall and fed all comers, no questions. They probably did other things, but that food kept everyone working to clean up the downtown fed. People worked together to get the grocery store opened first.

I can imagine having to and needing to survive. And it seems as though great trials and tribulations either bring out the best in people or the worst. A whole lot of the worst is going on. Taking bread, taking food, even taking shoes, hey, I can see it. If you need it . . . and what is that bread going to do but mold or feed you? But looting waterlogged televisions and hospital supply trucks and threatening the hospitals themselves? Admittedly, I'm not cutting edge on the news -- I've seen none of it on TV. But people have to survive and in order to survive, they have to help one another, not steal from one another. I can't believe people are defending lawless looters. I hope the heros of this story soon take center stage away from the lowlifes.

As far as Nawlins, sorry, but it is not tenable. Move it. They moved Grundy.

4 comments:

H. Stallard said...

It was $2.79 here in Coeburn at the Chevron today. They were out of regular and mid-grade yesterday but got a delivery today. The Apco downtown was selling mid-grade at regular price because they were out of reg. Said if they ran out of mid-grade would sell premium at reg. price. Nice to see that at least some of them are not greedy.

Back in 77, we were stranded at home for 5 days. Road was cut on both sides of us. The water got up to the fence in the back yard.

Joe Tornatore said...

good post, makes squirrel grave so insignificant now.

Madcap said...

I sure hope they move it. I'm not a city-planner or anything, but it makes sense to me that you try to avoid things like hurricanes and tidal waves and such when you can.

Vol Abroad said...

You've helped me make up my mind which charity. Salvation Army it will be.