Friday, July 15, 2005

Recent Treats

Parmesan Curry Potato Salad
I like using boiler potatoes instead of bakers since they hold their shape. And I usually use the golf ball and marble size ones when making potato salad. Boil until tender. Drain. Put in bowl. Sprinkle on some garlic powder (or fresh garlic is you have it, green being best I think), onion powder (or finely chopped onions), curry, cilantro, salt. Amounts will vary by taste but I probably use a lot of all of them. Then dollop on the mayo or mayo substitute and grated parmesan cheese. I like just enough mayo to moisten. The curry makes it look like mustard almost. I like a good amount of parmesan, enough to affect the texture as well as the taste. Best cooled, even better the next day if you manage to have any leftover.

Summer Squash Salad
Take whatever summer squashes (and compatibles, like cucumbers) you have (we have right now patty pans and zukes and cukes and yellow). And anything else you have that sounds good added raw, like a spare turnip or kohlrabi. Cut them all up appropriately, not too finely. In bowl add some decent olive oil, I like to add a touch of sesame oil sometimes, some seasoned rice vinegar, some green herb (dill or basil usually for me), salt to taste, toss and enjoy.

No comments: