Monday, September 13, 2004

So Many Things

I am thinking of so many things today. I am thinking about my friend Joe Hollis's essay on Paradise Gardening . I am thinking of another essay on Money as Mirror .

I am thinking about the best books detailing homesteading experiences: Fat of the Land by John Seymour and Payne Hollow by Harlan Hubbard . If you've read the back to the land stuff, if you know who the Nearings are and you haven't read these yet, well, do.

I am thinking about my horse who is blind in one eye and a little gimpy but who is a magnificent beast and able to do more work than we need him to do (photo of us above). Which makes me think of how useful everyone and everything *could* be -- at least if we didn't define "normal" and “useful” so narrowly. Which makes me think of so many people -- grandmothers shelling beans even though they are in deep dementia, "retarded" cousins who earned their living shining shoes and knew everyone in two counties, grandfathers deep in the mines despite having broken his back twice.

And frankly, I am thinking of the too many people I know who are the opposite of this, who are the bad examples, the horrible warnings.

I am thinking about what we value and how we show how much we value something. Which brings me back to the essay Money as Mirror because "valuing" with money is such a sham.

I am thinking about what I hope for my children, and what I want to give them. I am thinking about the question "What do I want to do in this very moment?" which is a question that if regularly asked and the answer followed will change your life.

I am thinking of three of my very favorite Bible verses:

For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain that we can carry nothing out. And having food and clothing, therewith let us be content. (I Timothy 6:7-8)

There are it may be so many voices in this world and none of them without signification (I Corinthians 14:10)

For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes. (Luke 6:44)

No comments: