Sunday, December 18, 2022

enough

 

A friend texted me this morning. Yes, sometimes I can get texts here at home now. Amazing. We also have relatively decent internet now. Even 10 years ago, we probably couldn't watch videos online. Now we can zoom and only get thrown off a couple times an hour usually.

So yes, a friend texted. "I seem to recall that once-upon-a-time long ago, you talking about the virtues of living an ordinary life and being content in an ordinary life, etc. It wasn't an introspective musing, but rather a philosophical idea and you referenced a book or article or something-or-other from an author you were familiar with. I think. Does any of that sound remotely real or am I recalling some dream I had?"

The floodgates opened. A book? An article? Oh my where to even start. Of course I thought of a few, unsure if any of them would have been exactly whatever we would have been talking about whenever that conversation happened. And I thought, hmmmmm, I haven't thought of a lot of those books in quite a while. Wouldn't it be interesting to review them and their impact on our lives and my thoughts about them? Perfect for the blog too.  And gee, I haven't really blogged in forever.

So, I think I will try it.  If'n you are interested, feel free to hold me to it. But first, some thoughts.

It IS philosophical. I understand in theory that there are folks who get through life without philosophy, but I don't understand it. Truth be told, the last few years, I could have used a good bit more philosophy but instead it was a season of action that was required.  Different action. Tangential action? I'm not sure that is the right word still.  Action that was directed outward. Trying to shove that wheel of fortune just a little bit, to help to bend the arc toward justice and freedom and equality and respect. Because tRump. Because Christofascists.

But I think there is a current turning back to what really matters, and what really creates change, which is stepping out of the stream of exploitation, forging and marking and mapping the paths away from the raging rivers of consumerism, and creating and producing on a tiny micro-scale of cooperative sufficiency. Littling along as Harlan Hubbard put it. Daring to be a nobody.

So let's look at those books!

No comments: